Thursday, June 23, 2011

The last 7 weeks...

Are a blur! I have been in graduate school taking my very first class...Marriage and Couples Therapy. It is a PhD level course and whew! I was very worried about my skill level for such a course so many years after having been in class.
Here is what made me worried: 60% of my grade: 2 papers up to 21 pages each, a reflection paper on my family that I have to find and COUNSEL, yes, counsel. 15% of my grade: 1 1/2 hour presentation. 10% of my grade participation in class discussions. 15% of my grade: content of discussions.
Yes: All of my grade is writing in some form or fashion...which must be done in APA format. APA who?
Counseling....that is a tough one for someone with absolutely no counseling background or previous classes in theories.
Presentation: 1.5 hours...that is a long time to talk!

I have been spending about 4-5 hours a day/night working on school work. Yes, in addition to my regular life responsibilities.

BUT: I am halfway through the class and I have an A. I spent the last 3 days on campus for our residency portion. I feel very confident now. The fear is gone. I know I am capable. I have decided to pursue my PsyD!

I thoroughly enjoyed being in class...contributing ideas, listening to other ideas, learning from some great minds.
I am a great wife and mother (most of the time). I am a capable (barely) keeper of our house, a pretty decent cook, a pretty decent friend.
But...I am also a student...a woman with ideas. I am so excited to be on this journey.

I am on the downward slope of the class. ONLY 1 paper, 3 more counseling sessions, 7 more discussion questions and the reflection paper left! I will make it and I am determined to get an A.

Remind me of this next semester when I might be rethinking all of this, haha. I am taking School Psych Ethics (Yawn, boring...but necessary) and Cognitive Assessment (hopefully slightly more interesting). And...I have to wean my poor, sweet baby at 9 1/2 months because I will be on campus for 7 days straight in October. But...if I can stick it out and do 2-3 classes a semester, I will be one of a few PsyD School Psychs here in FL...which will make me a hot commodity, especially if I want to teach at the University level!

Life is never boring folks!

1 comment:

The Burleys said...

Congrats, Nichole, on doing such a great job already! I truly admire you! Cognivite Assessment will be SO much more enjoyable, I promise. Plus, you have 5 kids to practice all of your assessments right at your fingertips! :) I'm sorry I did not get back to you in time to help with your presentation. I promise I will be johnny-on-the-spot the next time you need help with something! :)