Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 1st

was the first day of hurricane season. Here in FL, that means people, especially those on the coasts will start preparing by buying extra water, batteries, canned goods, etc to have in the event of a major storm/power loss.

For us, it means my husband should get to work a lot and really get his feet wet in this new career choice. It probably means Tony will be gone for an extended period of time....possibly months.

While everyone else is going to be paying attention to weather stations and radars in hopes that this will be a quiet season, we will be paying attention and hoping for an active hurricane season. Forecasters have predicted anywhere from 12-25 named storms, with as many as half of those being major hurricanes.

Now I know how this makes me sound, heartless...but I am praying for at least a major storm or two so that my husband can work and this career change he made proves the right one. There is nothing I would hate more than Tony having to go back to a job working a million hours a week, working every weekend, being stressed to the max and doing all this with little to no appreciation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I came across your post, and I felt compelled to leave a comment. I don't know if you have ever experienced first hand a major hurricane. But as a person who made it through Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and saw the devastation that it left behind in its wake, it breaks my heart that you would be hoping for this. My hope for you is that you and husband would receive confirmation from the Lord that does not come at the expense of thousands of people who would have to suffer through "two or three major storms." While I understand your desire to have your husband find success in his new career, your post comes across as insensitive to those who would be affected should this storm season prove to be an active one.
Casey Robinson

Nichole Devescovi said...

Casey, I too have lived through hurricanes. I am sorry you took this as insensitive. The fact remains that my husband is a catastrophic insurance adjuster. He is sent wherever there are major disasters. It is not like I am creating these disasters...they are just a fact of life...and now one which we are depending on. Many, many people are in this same line of work and it is a feast or famine type of industry. Since you happened upon this post, unfortunately, you know nothing about my family and what we have sacrificed in order to make this new career change and I do not apologize for wanting my husband to do well and to be able to support his family.